Tuesday, 30 June 2015
Monday, 29 June 2015
Veteran Nigerian Reggae Artiste Victor Essiet (Mandators) Kidnapped in Akwa Ibom, South-South Nigeria
Friday, 26 June 2015
Thursday, 25 June 2015
Wednesday, 24 June 2015
The notorious group stormed the village of Debiro on motorcycles and pick-up vans burning down homes and shooting indiscriminately at the villagers.
The militants then rounded up at least 20 villagers and slit their throats.
Debiro is in Hawul Local government area of Borno state.
’’It was in the afternoon time when we started hearing gunshots and people were running helter-skelter, there was confusion everywhere, some were shot dead and many had their throats slit. We were helpless as our foodstuffs were carted away by the rampaging militants who later burnt down most of the houses in our village.''
''I can't say tell you the correct number of people killed, but at least 20 people including women had their throats slit.'' the fleeing resident told SaharaReporters.
Luka Yakubu, a resident in Kworjafa village near Debiro, told SaharaReportersby phone that after Boko Haram attacked Debiro village in the afternoon some people fled to Kworjafa, he said an unspecified number of villagers were killed. Debiro is a remote village located in southern part of Borno state; it's about 246 kilometers from Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.
Withdrawal of Military From Checkpoints: Buhari Rescinds Decision, Okays Military Checkpoint In The North-East And 'Frontline States'
Tuesday, 23 June 2015
… the time limit for retention permitted under the internal policies of GCHQ, the
intercepting agency, was overlooked in regard to the product of that interception,
such that it was retained for materially longer than permitted under those policies.
We are satisfied however that the product was not accessed after the expiry of the
relevant retention time limit, and the breach can thus be characterised as technical
In its ruling pertaining to the LRC it writes that “the procedure laid down by GCHQ’s internal policies for selection of the communications for examination was in error not followed in this case”.
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) has threatened to resume hostilities in the region in protest of the huge salaries and allowances of federal lawmakers.
Last week, media reports had alleged that federal lawmakers would receive N9 billion wardrobe allowance this week. But Bukola Saraki, senate president, refuted the reports, stating that each lawmaker would only get a wardrobe allowance of N506, 600 per annum in line with the stipulation of the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC).
But Mend looks dissatisfied with the clarification and its spokesman, Jomo Gbomo, according to the an online news medium, TheCable, has threatened fire and brimstone.
“These wicked individuals appropriate to themselves huge and absurd salaries and allowances at the expense of the millions of hapless Nigerians, who have not been paid for months, their salaries, pensions and other benefits they deserve,” Gbomo said.
“The Niger Delta region, where the bulk of revenue that sustains the nation comes from, continues to suffer neglect, environmental degradation and lack, made worse by the very corrupt and visionless past government of Goodluck Jonathan and his cronies, some of who still shamelessly parade themselves on national television and other media platforms as ‘Niger Delta Activists’.
“Nigerians refuse to tolerate this ostentatious lifestyle of our lawmakers, whose main objective, it seems, is to enrich themselves and carelessly spend scarce resources.
“The Niger Delta people refuse to pamper and cater for the needs of these thieving Assembly rogues to their detriment. “If the lawmakers refuse to make the necessary adjustments needed to accompany the needs of the masses and the Niger Delta region, it may lead to the resumption of hostilities.”
Monday, 22 June 2015
A female suicide bomber on Monday evening killed at least nine people at the famous Baga Market in Maiduguri, Borno State.
The incident happened around 4pm, witnesses said.
Sources said the woman targeted worshippers who were observing Asr prayers in front of some shops and succeeded in killing no fewer than nine people, including herself.
Trader Jafar Aliyu said the woman disguised as if she wanted to buy something.
"Like other women, the woman was seen near the Juma'at mosque where worshippers also observe daily prayers but she could not get access to the facility.
"She then went into the market and targeted worshippers, nine bodies have been taken away and many others sustained injuries," he said.
Another lady, who also strapped herself with explosives died before she reached her target near the Baga Market, also in Maiduguri.
"She was targeting some civilian JTF near the Dewak (old company) but the bombs in her body exploded," a vendor, who sells newspapers close to the scene, said.
Details will follow...
Dailly Trust Newspaper
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday ordered immediate removal of military check points nationwide.
This was disclosed to State House correspondents by the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Defence, Ismail Aliyu, after about five hours defence briefing to the President at the State House, Abuja.
He said the police will take over internal security.
Aliyu maintained that the Boko Haram insurgency will soon be over.
He said the Lake Chad Basin Commission nations are coming up with strategies to tackle the problem of insecurity.
He said: “The President has instructed the Chief of Defence Staff to get the Chief of Army Staff and Inspector General of Police to remove all the military men along the road across the country.
“The Nigerian Armed Forces are very ready, we have briefed him. One most interesting thing about it is that we are going out much happier because he has shown to us that he is still a soldier, he has updated and enriched our strategic plans.
“The second item that was discussed is the movement of the command centre to the Northeast. We have briefed him on how far we have reached on that and he has given us some additional assignment, but very soon the centre will be on.
“I also want to assure Nigerians that with what we have come out with from this meeting we are very enthusiastic that the issue of Boko Haram will soon be over. He has given us hope that we will see peace and security in the very near future.
On what will be done differently, he said: “Now we have come as a united front, we have Chad, Cameroon, Benin and Niger. We have all strategised and we are coming out with one type of strategy that we are going to address the Boko Haram with, unlike before.”
He said discussion on change of service chiefs did not come up at the meeting.
The Nation Newspaper
Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh on Friday revealed that intelligence reports available to the Armed Forces showed that the Youths from the Niger Delta region have started taking up arms and engaging in criminal activities along the creeks and the water ways of the region.
Air Mashal Alex Badeh, who made the revelation during the inauguration ceremony of the permanent complex of the Headquarters of the Joint Task Military Force, Operation Pulo Shield, along Igbogene/ Okolobiri road in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, said the increase in illegal arms and ammunition possession by youths of the Region has led to an increase in cases of oil theft, kidnapping and other criminal activities in the region.
Badeh said though the Nigerian Armed Forces entered into an agreement with the Niger Delta youths and former militants to disarm and partner with the Federal Government on empowerment and development initiatives,the recent cases of criminality may force the military to review such agreement and turn its arsenal on the region.
According to Badeh, “Criminalities in the Niger Delta, we thought, have stopped but now they are on the rise again. But I know that our gallant men and women are equal to the task. We are after the bad men, we are good men and darkness can never overtake light. No nation can develop in the presence of so much criminality.”
Dr Ade Abolurin, Commandant-General, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), says the Corps had concluded plans to deploy about 500 drones and aircraft for proper surveillance of oil installations in the country. Abolurin disclosed this on Monday in Abuja at a meeting with senior officers of the Corps as part of efforts to strengthen its operational strategy.
He said that the move was in line with the new administration’s resolve to tackle the issue of oil theft headlong to boost the economic revenue accrued to the country. The NSCDC boss, who decried the spate of pipeline vandalism and oil theft in the country, said the corps was working round the clock to stem the tide.
He said the corps was exploring new ways to monitor and protect the pipelines, especially the use of technology and sophisticated gadgets to track down the vandals. “I can assure you that we are already exploring new approaches which will include the massive deployment of technology as opposed to the outdated conventional approach you are use to,’’ he said.
He said that some drones had already been deployed on a test run basis in some areas in the Niger Delta region such as Bayelsa, to test its efficacy. Abolurin also said that officers of the corp’s anti-vandalism unit had also undergone refresher training in line with international best practice to deal with the menace.
He said that so far this year about, 250 vandals had been directly arrested, while another 100 were arrested by other security agencies and handed over to them for prosecution, with 35 successfully convicted. He said the corps had also stepped up its protection of other critical infrastructure in the country such as power installation, telecommunication masts and equipment so as to ensure better service delivery to Nigerians.
The commandant-general called on the media, host communities and other stakeholders to cooperate with the NSCDC and other security agencies to tackle the challenge of oil theft and pipeline vandalism. On the issue of the recent promotion exercise in the corps, he said the process was done transparently and in line with due process as opposed to insinuations in some quarters.
He assured that the NSCDC would continue to do its best to ensure the security of lives and property in line with its mandate.
Source: Vanguard Newspaper
|Dylann Roof - Suspect|
Friday, 19 June 2015
Nigeria Spends N4.62 trillion on National Security in 5 years, Yet Pervasive Insecurity Prevails - Premium Times
Thursday, 18 June 2015
Kenya police have issued a $100,000 bounty for the capture of a German man accused of fighting with al-Shabab in an attack on a military base. Two Kenyan soldiers and 11 al-Shabab militants were killed in the attack.
Convert Andreas M. from Bonn, who uses the alias Abu Nusaybah, is alleged to have taken part in the attack in Lamu county in Kenya on Sunday, which left two Kenyan soldiers and 11 al-Shabab fighters dead.
Andreas M., 42, was injured during Sunday's attack and is now on the run, according to information from security forces.
Attacks by al-Shabab in Kenya rise
Sunday's attack is part of a growing number of assaults in Kenya carried out by the Somalia-based Islamist al-Shabab group.
Al-Shabab fighters killed 148 people in an attack on Kenya's Garissa University College in April.
Another foreigner, 25-year-old Thomas Evans from the UK, also took part in Sunday's assault and was killed in the fighting. Evans traveled to Somalia to join the militant group in 2012.
The reward for the capture of Andreas M. is part of a police campaign known in Kiswahili as Kaa Chonjo Usinyamaze ("Be alert, Don't Keep Quiet"), which was launched to tackle the threat from the jihadists.
Andreas M. disappeared in Kenya in 2011, before announcing that he had joined al-Shabab in the spring of 2012. He is initially thought to have got in contact with the group via Bonn's Islamic scene, and then traveled to Pakistan before being arrested by country's secret service.
He spent nine months in a local jail, but said afterwards that prison had only cemented his beliefs.
Andreas. M's Eritrean wife and their daughter also traveled with him in 2011 to Somalia. The mother and daughter are thought to be staying in an area of Somalia still controlled by al-Shabab.
Chadian forces are carrying out airstrikes on Boko Haram positions in Nigeria, the Chadian army have confirmed.
It would be recalled that suspected Islamist suicide bombers killed at least 27 people in the Chadian capital N’Djamena on Monday in what appeared to be retaliation by Nigerian militant group Boko Haram for Chad’s leading role in a regional offensive against it.
At least 100 people were injured in two simultaneous attacks at around 9:00 a.m. (0800 GMT) on a police headquarters and training school. It was the first strike of its kind in the central African nation, which has emerged as a firm Western ally against Islamist groups in the Sahel.
The government, which said that four Boko Haram fighters were among the 27 dead, announced a raft of measures to tighten security in the capital which serves as the headquarters for a 3,000-strong French mission – known as Barkhane – fighting militancy in the region.
Chad, whose oil revenues have helped it emerge as a military heavyweight in the region, has been a driving force behind a campaign that has inflicted a series of defeats on Boko Haram since January.
More to follow…
Wednesday, 17 June 2015
A bag filled with improvised bombs discovered by operatives of the youth vigilante at a deserted camp of Boko Haram near Monguno village in Borno State, has accidentally exploded killing at least 63 persons, witnesses and security sources said.
The explosion, which occurred at about 5pm on Tuesday, had also left many persons injured.
An eyewitness and operative of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria (VGN), Haruna Bukar, told journalists on phone that a group of Civilian-JTF on patrol along Monguno-Marte route stumbled upon a bag containing metallic substances at an area where Boko Haram terrorists had once camped before they were dislodged by Nigerian soldiers in February this year.
“When they found the bag containing what later turned out to be improvised explosives, they brought it to Monguno town where people gathered to take a looks at it. As they were busy fiddling with the content of the bag, the bombs went off with a massive blast that killed about 63 persons and injured dozen others”, said
“It was really a very sad incident that affected many families. Most of those affected are young men and a few number of females”.
An officer of the VGN in Maiduguri, Abbas Gava, had also confirmed the incident to journalists.
“Initially we thought it was a Boko Haram attack as it was being rumored in the town of Maiduguri”, he said. “But when we later checked, we discovered that it was somehow an accidental explosion caused by the foolishness of the Civilian-JTF operatives who discovered such a dangerous device and refusing to call on the police of military that has the expertise to handle such things. 63 persons dying without being attacked is a huge loss. This also further heightened our fears that a lot of sweeping needs to be done by the explosives ordnance department before people are allowed to go back to their liberated homes”.
Monguno is about 137km west of Maiduguri the Borno state capital.
Boko Haram terrorists had on the 25th of January, this year attacked Monguno and sacked a major military barracks there, killing hundreds within and around the town and carted away large number of munitions from the barracks after forcing soldiers to flee alongside civilians.
Nigeria military had on the second week of February retake Monguno from the Boko Haram terrorists after a heated gun battle that allegedly sent the insurgents fleeing.
CALABAR, Nigeria—Officials in Nigeria are always quick to attribute problems of education in the northeast of the country to the Boko Haram insurgency. But figures show that the country had the highest number of out-of-school children in the world, and a very poor standard of education of any kind, long before the sect began its uprising in 2009. And the numbers today are frightening.
Tuesday, 16 June 2015
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has tasked Nigeria on the need to ensure that its nuclear power programme is safe, secured enough to provide electricity for 100 years.
The Deputy Director General, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Dr Mikhail Chudakov, gave the advice after a closed door meeting with Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo at the Defence House, Abuja on Monday.
According to him, Nigeria must be fully prepared and responsible for the safe operation of its nuclear power programme.
“IAEA is not in the position to push some countries to create nuclear power. But if any country decides to create peaceful nuclear power we will be there to help the country and to suggest our programmes in order to operate nuclear power in safe manner.
“Nigeria did a lot in order to create the necessary infrastructure (for nuclear power development).
Dr Mikhail Chudakov and Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo at the Defence House
“You should be reminded also that this is a specific source of energy and it should for 100 years and operate (necessary) for 100 years and that is why the country should be prepared for this and should be fully responsible for the safety culture; for safe operation of a nuclear power in the country.”
He commended Nigeria for its efforts toward the development of peaceful nuclear power plants.
In his remarks, Chief Executive of the Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission (NAEC), Dr Erepamo Osaisai, said the IAEA delegation was in Nigeria to assess the state of readiness of the nation’s nuclear power infrastructure.
He said that the delegation would be in the country for the next two weeks.
“The essence of this is that the IAEA, being the UN nuclear watch dog, is committed to nuclear safety and they are here to work with us to ensure that Nigeria adheres to the highest standard of nuclear safety.
“Their mission will go on here for two weeks and we hope and believe that is going to benefit our country.”