Friday 29 July 2016
Boko Haram Ambush UNICEF, NGOs Convoy in Nigeria, 2 Soldiers, 3 Civilians Injured
Leadership Newspaper reports that Nigerian troops returning from Bama on humanitarian escort duty, were yesterday ambushed enroute Maiduguri by suspected remnants of Boko Haram terrorists hiding in Meleri village, a few kilometres from Kawuri.The gallant troops however, successfully cleared the ambush and exploited up to Afunori.
Unfortunately, 2 soldiers and 3 civilians were wounded in the ambush, among whom were staff of United Nations agencies (UNICEF) and other international humanitarian organizations. The wounded have been evacuated to University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Maiduguri and they are in stable condition.
The Nigerian Army wishes to sympathize with our wounded colleagues, the United Nations and other Non-governmental organizations whose personnel were also injured in this sad incident. We wish to reiterate our determination and commitment to ensuring safety and security in the North East and safeguarding the lives of all persons.
UN suspends aid deliveries in Nigeria after Unicef convoy attacked
Meanwhile, Guardian Newspaper reports that the United Nations has temporarily suspended aid deliveries in Nigeria’s north-eastern state of Borno, the former stronghold of jihadists Boko Haram, after a humanitarian convoy was attacked, the UN children’s agency Unicef said on Thursday.
Unicef said in a statement that unknown assailants attacked the convoy on Thursday as it returned to Maiduguri from delivering aid in Bama, injuring a Unicef employee and an International Organization for Migration contractor.
“The United Nations has temporarily suspended humanitarian assistance missions pending review of the security situation,” it said.
Nearly a quarter of a million children in Borno suffer from life-threatening malnourishment and around one in five will die if they do not receive treatment, Unicef said earlier this month.