Thursday, 24 September 2015
Terror Alert! NSA Warns of Possible Attack on Lagos Ports By Boko Haram
The office of Nigeria's National Security Adviser, NSA, has issued a security alert on the likelihood of Boko Haram attack on Lagos seaports.
The alert was as a result of the concern expressed by the United States Embassy on the security situation at the nation’s seaports.
The security alert was signed by Assistant Comptroller General of Customs in charge of Enforcement and Intelligence, Mr. Dan Ugo, on behalf of the Comptroller General, Col. Hameed Ali (retd).
Following the security alert, the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, has begun the restriction of persons into its various commands and formations in Lagos.
The development has brought about an increase in the level of security checks at all access points into the ports.
Meanwhile, the leadership of the Port Facility Security Officer Forum has also warned its members to increase surveillance on their facilities and reduce the number of people into their premises.
Since last week, a long queue of clearing agents had resurfaced at the Nigerian Ports Authority, NPA, gate where thorough checks were conducted before access is granted.
Speaking to Vanguard on the development, Vice Chairman of the Port Facility Security Officers Forum, Dr. Zeb Ikokide, said that articulated vehicles should not be accompanied by their ‘motor boys’.
Ikokide also warned Customs to stop delaying cargoes at the gates, adding that all documentations regarding cargo clearance must be concluded before the goods get to the exit gate.
On the part of terminal operators, the security expert said that all terminal operators must ensure that their dock workers are transported to and fro their terminals.
Speaking in a similar vein, President of the Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents, ANLCA, Alhaji Olayiwola Shittu, called on Nigerians to be security conscious and cooperate with security agencies to ensure the safety of lives and properties at the ports.