- The claim: One Nation founder Pauline Hanson says that halal certification is a $3 trillion industry that funds Islamic organisations and terrorism.
- The verdict: Ms Hanson's estimate of a $3 trillion industry conflates the value of the global food market with the value of the halal certification market. While the proceeds of halal certification do fund Islamic organisations, Fact Check could find no evidence money has ever flowed to terrorist groups. Ms Hanson's claim doesn't check out.
What is halal food?
A $3 trillion industry?
The entire market, not just certification
What is the Australian halal certification industry worth?
Meat processing and halal
Who certifies halal food in Australia?
- be recognised by a local mosque
- issue Muslim slaughtermen with identity cards
- be recognised by an importing country authority
Foreign recognition for certifiers
No disclosure required
Halal certification and terrorism
We do not in any way endorse or support or want to be associated with terrorism.Muhammad Khan, CEO Halal Australia