Thursday, 7 May 2015

Nigerian Military Rescues Another 25 Boko Haram Hostages From Sambisa Forest

Nigerian troops have rescued 25 more women and children from Boko Haram’s northeastern stronghold in the Sambisa Forest, killing a number of insurgents and destroying Islamist camps, the military said Wednesday.
“Seven additional terrorists camps were yesterday destroyed as more terrorists also died in the ongoing onslaught to flush them out of Sambisa forest,” the defence headquarters said in a statement.

“An additional 25 women and children were rescued in the process,” it said.

According to the military, more than 700 women and children have been saved from Islamist captivity during a weeks long assault on the notorious forest in Borno state

At least 275 have been taken for rehabilitation to hospitals and camps in Yola, the capital of Adamawa state, which neighbours Borno.
The military said soldiers in the latest operation had to evade landmines laid by the Islamist rebels before storming the camps.

“Various weapons including Rocket Propelled Grenades, anti-aircraft guns and a number of vehicles were either captured or destroyed during the operation. Four soldiers were wounded and have evacuated for treatment,” it said.

The military said troops would continue “to search the forests for terrorists, arms and hostages.”

As the military has announced a series of hostage rescues over the last two weeks, the world has anxiously awaited news of the 219 schoolgirls seized by Boko Haram from the town of Chibok in April of 2014.

So far, none of the rescued girls have been identified as Chibok natives, but the military said nothing could be ruled out until each hostage is screened and their identity is established.

Many of the rescued hostages have demonstrated signs of severe mental and physical trauma and some said they suffered sexual abuse by Boko Haram gunmen.

Source:
Vanguard Newspaper