Monday, 16 March 2015

Suspected Fulani Herdsmen Kill 80 in Attack On Agatu, Benue State

It was a bloody Sunday when suspected Fulani herdsmen in the early hours attacked Egba village in Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State, killing over 80 persons and injuring several others including women and children.
It was learnt that the herdsmen who stormed the village at about 4 am killed their victims, most of whom were fast asleep in their homes after which they razed the community, destroying economic trees, food barns and farmlands.

According to a resident, the casualty figure could be higher following the disappearance of many other villagers.

“The search for victims and survivors is still ongoing, but there is no doubt that the figure may rise because the entire village is like a killing field with the stench of blood everywhere and many still missing,” he said.

He said that the assailants came from Loko in neighbouring Nasarawa State, and started shooting and breaking into people's houses and hacked down anyone they met including women and children.

“At the moment, we have been able to recover about 80 corpses and many injured. The search is continuing but we are facing a major challenge.
“Many survivors with injuries are being evacuated to hospitals, but the problem is that we do not have a hospital in this area that is big enough to cater for the situation we have at hand at the moment,” the resident who preferred not to be named said.

Reacting to the development, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) deputy governorship candidate in the state and an indigene of the area, Mr. John Ngbede, described the attack and killings as barbaric and heart rending.

He said 60 bodies had been recovered from the village at the time he spoke to his people.
Confirming the attack on the community, Benue State Police Commissioner, Mr. Hyacinth Dagala, said his men had arrived the village to restore peace.

Dagala, who confirmed the recovery of 30 bodies from the scene, said he would rely more on reports from his men, adding that the search for the recovery of more bodies was ongoing.

Source:
ThisDay Newspaper