Sunday, 25 January 2015

Pandemonium in Maiduguri As Boko Haram Launches A Daring Attack In Bid To Take Over State Capital

Soldiers of the Nigerian army and Boko Haram terrorists are currently engaged in a fierce exchange of fire since Saturday night as insurgents, in their hundreds, attempt to invade Maiduguri, the Borno state capital,  security sources have told PREMIUM TIMES.

This is happening as reports filtered into Maiduguri that the nearby town of Monguno had been seized by the Boko Haram terrorist. That could not be independently confirmed as at the time of publishing this.

A security source told PREMIUM TIMES, “We had a sleepless night till this morning because this elements tried to enter Maiduguri from Dalwa and Limanti axis but our soldiers were able to repell them. They retreated and took another flank around Njimtilo this morning and our troops hav been engaging them there too.”

Njimtilo is about 20 kilometres away from Maiduguri, the state capital.
As at the time of filing this report more troops, together with operatives of the Civilian-JTF, were seen moving towards Njimtilo.

Residents of Maiduguri 1000 Unit Housing Estate, not very far away from Njimtilo, are fleeing their houses and moving toward the downtown.

Witnesses said bullets were flying and empty shells were seen littering the roads as soldiers of the Nigerian Air Force Base and 33 Artillery brigade continued to shoot into the air.

Fighter jet of the Nigeria airforce was heard hovering over the town at about 9am.

Details of the ongoing attack is still sketchy as sources in Monguno and Njimtilo said the fight is still on.
Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, had last week in a video  boasted to have more than enough arms to execute a major war against Nigeria.

Source:
Premium Times