Thursday, 8 January 2015
BREAKING: Boko Haram Launches Second Assault On Baga Town
Nigeria's militant Islamists have carried out a second attack on the key town north-eastern town of Baga, an official has told the BBC.
Boko Haram fighters burnt down almost the entire town on Wednesday, after over-running a military base on Saturday, Musa Alhaji Bukar said.
Bodies lay strewn on Baga's streets, amid fears that some 2,000 people had been killed in the raids, he added.
Boko Haram launched a military campaign in 2009 to create an Islamic state.
It took control of many towns and villages in north-eastern Nigeria last year.