Monday, 29 September 2014

Surrendered, Disarmed Boko Haram Insurgents To Be Rehabilitated

The Nigerian Government has revealed that those insurgents, who surrendered their weapons to the Nigerian troops, will be rehabilitated back to the society.

The Nigerian Military recorded a huge success last week Tuesday, September 17, when it killed a man, who appeared in recent videos claiming to be the leader of the Islamist militant group, Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, in a gun battle.

The man, identified as Mohammed Bashir, died when government troops defending the Northeastern town of Konduga killed some top Boko Haram commanders in an attack on a convoy of rebel vehicles.
Following the killing of their commander, some insurgents surrendered themselves to the Nigerian troops and pleaded for mercy after surrendering their weapons.

Speaking on Thursday on the fate of the insurgents that surrendered their weapons, the coordinator of National Information Centre (NIC), Mr Mike Omeri, during a press briefing, ruled out the possibility of prosecuting them.
He said there were measures in the counter-terrorism document launched by government and it would be strictly followed.

According to him, those who surrendered will be taken through the process of de-radicalisation and rehabilitation, while those who refused will surely be dealt with.
“Those terrorist who surrendered their arms and embraced peace will undergo the process of de-radicalisation and rehabilitation so that they will be admitted into society, and given the opportunity to also continue contributing their own quota to the development of this country,” Omeri said.
“But to those who insist in carrying arms against their country’s, against their fellow citizens, will have themselves to blame.

“I want to urge citizens to be steadfast in their support to our service men and women; we are working hard, day and night, to ensure that we put terrorism behind us in Nigeria.
“The army forces have found the winning strategies, and they will not go back in making sure the adequate security is provided, for every single Nigerian,” he assured.

  - Tribune